Gaborone, Botswana: The Botswana African Youth Games Organising Committee officially launches the 2nd African Youth Games. The African Youth game will be held in Gaborone, Botswana on May 22nd to 31st 2014. The sporting affair will bring 2500 participants from 54 countries to compete in 20 different sporting elements. The event was held at the Lansmore Hotel, with the Chief Executive Officer, Tuelo Serufho officiating. When making his keynote address, Serufho affirmed that hosting the games is a clear testament and display of our country’s robust commitment to recognising the vital role sport has to play in building and strengthening communities and indicated that the historic journey for Botswana to be at the centre of the sporting activities is beginning.
This year’s games tagged as Gaborone 2014 are the second African Youth Games since inaugural youth games of Morocco 2010. A growth in the number of athletes, sporting codes as well as participating countries is a measure of how Botswana is set to deliver a scene with a difference in the sporting arena.
“The pay-off line for Gaborone 2014 is “Unleashing Africa’s Stars.” Ladies and gentlemen, these are not some random words. These games will serve as a useful preparation platform for the Youth Olympic Games in Nanjing, China billed for August this year. It is pleasing to note that The International Sport Federations of Athletics, Basketball and Swimming have also agreed to use Gaborone 2014 as a qualifying tournament for Nanjing 2014. It is truly pleasing to note that our resources and efforts will be the springboard for young African Athletes who are driven and looking to make the continent proud. We will be happier if a few years from now, our African youth shoot from Gaborone to Nanjing to make even bigger history in Rio in 2016!” Serufho commented.
Gaborone 2014 is set to bringing people together. This will be a time for Batswana and the rest of the world to connect and share the spectacle that is the youth games. The game will also position Botswana as a global player.
AFRICAN YOUTH GAMES FACT SHEET
· The African Youth Games is an international multi-sport event held every four years .
· The first games was hosted by Morocco
· The 2014 game are hosted by Botswana
· The 2014 games have been tagged Gaborone 2014
· Gaborone 2014 is the 2nd African Youth Games to be hosted after the Morocco games in 2010
· 2500 athletes will participate in the Gaborone 2014 games
· 54 countries will take part in this year’s youth game
· 20 sporting codes will be featured in the Gaborone 2014 games
· The National Stadium will host the opening and closing ceremonies